Course Number: WM508
Senior Vice President of Education at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois
With the broad expansion of Christianity in Africa, the African Church and African theology should be understood by us all. This course examines Christian theological formation in Africa against the background of African cultures and religions, and in light of its contemporary context. Also considered are how to study and understand Africa, and the factors that led to the debate on Christian theologizing in Africa. Throughout the course, descriptions and analyses of African religions are provided.
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Sketch the history and development of African Christian theology.
- Examine specific African proposals for African theology.
- Comprehend the major issues in the study of African religions.
- Ascertain what lessons can be learned from Africa by the rest of the worldwide Christian church.
- Appreciate the continent of Africa and its fertile spiritual soil.